GoFundraise Customer Care


Are Donations through GoFundraise Tax Deductible? What does this mean?

Yes, donations made through GoFundraise are Tax Deductible for donors who are Australian Tax Payers, provided the charity you are donating to has Deductible Gift Recipient (DGR) and your donation is $2 or more. If you are donating through our New Zealand platform then those donations are tax deductible for New Zealand Tax Payers.

What does that mean?

This means, you can claim back income tax that you paid on money that you donate to charity. By donating that money near the end of the financial year, you don’t have to wait long to get your tax back!

When you or one of your supporters donate, the entire donated amount can be claimed as a tax deduction and a portion of it will reduce your taxable income! For example, if your income tax bracket is 20% and you donated $1,000 you will pay $200 less tax than you otherwise would. This tax deduction will reduce your overall tax bill for the year. You simply need to list the entire donation on your income tax claim and the Australian Taxation Office will work out the rest.

Deductions don’t affect the amount that you give to charity, so your full donation will still go to your chosen charity.

If a charity does not have DGR (Deductible Gift Recipients) status then the receipt you receive will not be Tax Deductible.

How do I get a Tax Deductible Receipt?

For donations eligible for a DGR receipt, a tax deductible receipt are emailed automatically at the completion of each transaction. System emails have been known to filter out from your Inbox, so check your Junk/Spam/Clutter/Quarantine boxes as well.

To re-issue your receipt, click to see how.

How do I know whether a Charity has DGR Status?

Look up your charities ABN record to see if it has DGR status

Is my Donation Tax Deductible in a country outside of Australia?

In most cases, no they are not. If a donation is made to an Australian Charity through our platform, the donation is only tax deductible for the donor if they are lodging an Australian Tax Return. Best to check with the relevant tax body in the country in question to confirm.




Was this article helpful?
0 out of 0 found this helpful
Have more questions? Submit a request